The name of pickles itself sounds complicated right. I felt the same way before, but nowadays in the market we easily get ready made swaminarayan masala pickle so it makes it so easy for us to cook it at home.
To make it healthier ofcourse you can use olive oil to soak the pickle, hence these pickles have a very long shelf life upto 2 years also. So lets begin;
- 2 Medium size raw mango
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Tumeric powder
- 300ml Corn oil/ Olive Oil
- 300 gms. pickle masala
- Wash and chop the mangoes with the skin into medium sized cubes. Add salt and tumeric powder, mix well and leave it over night.
- Following day you will see some water in the mixture, drain out the mangoes with a sieve and let them dry until all water soakes out. This should take like 30minutes.
- Now place the mangoes in a bowl and add the ready made pickle mix well. If you seeing more mangoes than masala add the more masala to it.
- Let it rest for another 2 hours
- Finally luke warm heat the oil, once the oil cools, add it to the mixture above, ensure it is dipped in oil.
- Tada served with roti, parothas and anything else you wish to eat it with.
Here is a very super easy dish biryani. When you hear of it you might feel oh my God it is alot of work. Dont be surprised to know how easily it can prepared. so lets begin.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 1 cup rice to cook
- 1 carrot chopped into medium cubes
- 1 potato chopped into medium cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped french beans (medium length)
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- Fresh Coriander
- 1/2 cup fried peanuts and cashews
- 2 crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ginger chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp of dhana jeera, tumeric powder and pilau masala
- 1/4 cup milk, dip a few strands of kesar into it
- Salt to taste
For the Raita
- 1 cup homemade curd or packet curd.
- 1 carrot peeled and grated
- 1 cucumber peeled and grated
- 2 tsp sugar
- A pinch of chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumins seeds powder
Mix the above and thats it.
- First of all cook the rice, drain it and keep aside.
- Now in a cooker heat oil, add cumin seeds, ginger chilli paste and the tomato paste, let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all the chopped veggies and all the species mentioned above along with salt. When the first whistle is about to blow, switch of the gas
- Now in a glass bowl, put the first layer of rice, followed by the milk with saffron strands,frieds nuts, then the cooked veggies, add another layer of rice, add the milk saffron mixture, followed by the nuts and corainder
- Tada it is ready.
First Layer of rice with saffron milk
Followed by veggies
There you go, dalwada is the all time snack any where eaten hot hot with super hot fried green chillies is blissful. This is basically a blend of lentils, crushed coarse into makng it a crunhie bunchie snack. So lets begin, well it goes so well with coconut dosa chutney also. I get this from of course my super mom. So lets begin;
- 1 Cup split green grams
- 3/4 cup Udad dal (Black lentils without skin)
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 1/4 cup Chora dal
- Water to soak them
- Chopped green chillies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ginger chilli paste is optional
- 1/2 tsp sodabicarb (optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the above over night to maximum 4 hours, if you take green grams with skin, after soaking them make sure to get rid of the skin which shall gently come out.
- Blend it into a coarse texture, place the mixture into a sieve and let it rest for 2hours, you can also put it in the fridge.
- Now in a bowl add the blended lentils, along with green chillies, salt and pepper, a pinch of sodabicarb.
- Heat oil and fry them on medium heat, once the colour changes to brown, remove them and served when hot.
Here is presenting a hands on healhty snack easily made at home. Lets start.
- 500gms of puffed rice/mamra
- 2 tbsp. corn oil
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. tumeric powder
- 1 tsp. red kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. hot red chilli powder
- To make it easier, first sun dry the puffed rice, so they automatically become crunchy. Say for 3 to 4 hours.
- Now in a big pan, heat oil and add the curry leaves, followed by tumeric powder, immediately thereafter add the puffed rice.
- Roast them for like 10 to 15 minutes, once they are cooked, add the chilli powder and mix well.
- Ready to eat.
Okay let us do some super healthy dish. It is a high protein dish so to the women out there who are anaemic and need to eat healthy should include this at least thrice a week. Super healthy it is so let’s begin. Yet again I get this from my super woman my mommy. Best served when hot.
- 2 cups split green grams
- Water to soak them over night
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. green chilli paste (adjust it to you chilli intake)
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- Water to dilute the batter after coarse grinding it
- Wash and soak the split green grams overnight, now use your hands to remove the skin, remember you are not supposed to get away with all the skin. Rinse them in water and grind them to a coarse paste.
- Now add the batter in a bowl, followed by salt, pepper, ginger paste, chilli paste and some water to make it semi thick. You will see in the pic below the thickness to maintain.
- Now heat a non-stick pan and with a round spatula, pour the batter and spread it round across, making it not too thin or too thick.
- Cover the non-stick pan, once it steams up, turn it over to cook the front side and tada its ready. Let them turn Golden brown.
- Note you can use oil to cook them in the pan, well i did not use oil though.
Flip it over the pan
Ready to enjoy
Hurray this is my all-time favourite. Monali one of my friends shared this awesome recipe with me. If you have a sweet tooth guys this is for you. I personally do not like Nan Khatai but on the contrary love these fingers. They are very pricey in the market, well I guess because of the amount of butter used in baking it. So let’s start;
- 200 gms Butter
- 200 gms All Purpose/Home Baking
- 60 gms icing sugar
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 5 tbsp. Corn Flour
- A few drops Vanilla essence
- 60gms Dark chocolate compound + 1 tsp. corn oil
- Cream Butter and sugar until its super fluffy, sieve in all the dry ingredients. The batter should be soft enough to come out of a piping bag.
- Place the batter in a piping bag and use the biggest nozzle that will give the curvy shape. In a baking tray lay them and bake at 180c for 20 minutes
- After the cool, dip each side into the melted dark chocolate compound (use the double boiler method to melt it). Rest them on a grill until the chocolate settles. Kuddos ready!!
Ever wondered how a cake can taste savoury, haha Gujaratis have it all, this is one of the most famous chilly cake, it can stay fresh for longer, so usually made when you’re travelling. All mommys are expert in this, I personally tried 5 times myself, failed at it and finally got it right the 6th time. I use an oven to bake this, but my super mom uses a jiko and her handwo is the BEST!! So here we go….
Ingredients for the batter (Serves 6)
- 2 Cups Fat Rice
- 1 Cups Chana Dal
- 1/2 Cup Urad Dal
- Soak the above in water for minimum 4hours to overnight. Either can work. After it’s soaked, blend it in a blender with very little water in batches to a smooth thick paste.
An alternative option to the above is that you can even buy ready-made handwo flour easily available in any ration shop, and soak it in thick buttermilk for 4 hours to overnight.
I personally prefer blending the lentils.
For the Spices to put into the batter
- 1 Medium sized bottle gourd, peeled and grated
- 3 Medium sized Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 Pressed cups fresh chopped methi (you can even add spinach to this)
- Salt to taste
- 11/2 tbsp giner chilly paste
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp Ajwain
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sodar bicarbonate or Eno fruit salt, both work well
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 3 pieces dry red chillies
- 5-6 pcs of cloves, 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- Oil for the temper
- Once the batter is blended, add all the vegetables into it, don’t worry if you’re seeing more vegetables than the batter. Make sure when adding the grated bottle gourd, squeeze out all the water with your palms and then add it to the mixture. Let it remain thick at this stage. Ginger chilli paste to be added at this point.
- Mix the above well, and now prepare the temper, heat oil, add the cloves, cinnamon stick and dry red chillies, once the aroma spreads add mustard seeds, let them crackle well, followed by cumin seeds and finally sesame seeds.
- Pour the temper in the batter, add salt and oil at this stage into it. Mix well, if you feel the batter is too thick, add a little water to give it a baking dough feel, not too thick not too thin.
- Finally before pouring it into the baking tray, add soda bicarbonate or Eno.
- Now grease the baking tray with oil and pour the batter, sprinkle loads of white sesame seeds on top of the batter, (this will give that brown crunch to the chilly cake) make sure the oven is preheated for 10mins before you bake.
- Bake for 20mins at 180C
- And the mouth-watering handwo is ready, tada J
The vegetables have to be more in the batter, this will not make it sticky, it will bring out the soft spongy feel.
Well uttappam uses the same batter of dosa. So once you make the dosa batter you can make many different things like idli, dosa, uttappam and enjoy. I personally am a very big fan of uttappam, I used the same batter of dosa as well. So let’s start this super awesome easy recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the batter
- 2 cups fat rice
- ½ cup urad dal (black Lentils without skin)
- Salt to taste in the batter
- 3 grated carrots
- 1 large chopped tomato
- ½ green capsicum chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger chilli paste
- 2-3 chopped green chillies as well
- 1 tbsp. oil for the batter
- ½ tsp. of Soda Bicarbonate
- Soak the lentils for 4 hours minimum to overnight maximum, blend with very little water to a smooth thick paste.
- Let it rest for another 4 hours minimum to overnight maximum, you will see it will have fermented.
- Now add all the chopped and grated vegetables, along with oil and soda bicarbonate. Mix well and taste the batter to add anything that’s less. Add water to adjust the consistency. Not too thick not too thin.
- Heat a non-stick plate. With a round steel spatula place the batter and roll it in circular directions, cover it with a lid. Once it steams add some oil and turn to cook on the other side.
- Its ready, served with chutneys or sauce, I prefer eating them as they are.
Well well well, ever heard of healthy ladoos, these ladoos have a combination of so many healthy ingredients that gives one the essential nutrients to the body. Well actually i get this recipe from my in laws (Anita Bhabhi). I love the way she makes it. So lets begin;
- 1 Cup coarsely crushed, almond, pista and cashews
- 1 Cup dry dessicated coconut
- 300 gms khoya/Mawa
- 1 Cup roasted vermicelli
- 1 Cup Coarse Semolina (Sooji) (to be roasted in butter say 1tbsp)
- 1 Cup gram flour ( to be roasted in butter say 1 tbsp.)
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- A pinch of kesar (Saffron)
- 1 tsp. Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp. Fennel seeds powder
- 1 tbsp. Poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp dry grapes (Sultanas)-roasted in ghee
- This mixture makes 3 medium sized bowls, so add ground sugar 11/2 cups to it. Use the whole sugar and grind it at home.
- Roast the mawa add, kesar to it and keep it aside, now roast the semolina in butter, followed by gram flour. Make sure you roast these well it should turn aromatic to avoid an after taste.
- Now in a bowl add the coarsely ground dry fruits, dessicated coconut and all the roasted ingredients, then measure the bowls and add half the ground sugar quantity to it.
- Mix well add the same mixture to roast on a non stick pan, roast it for like 10 minutes. Remove and let the mixture cool.
- Make round medium sized portions and roll them out smoothly on your palm. Ready to munch into these delicious ladoos. Yummy!
This is when you really want a healthy bowl of veggies that gives you all the nutrients to the body. So easily made, you can add all the veggies available in the house at that time. So let’s begin.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 Cup chopped cabbage
- ½ Cup Chopped Cauli Flower
- ¼ Cup chopped Carrots
- ¼ Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- ½ Cup Chopped green capsicum
- 50 gms. Of spaghetti
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp. corn flour paste
- 1 tbsp. Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Soya sauce
- In pan heat oil, add all the chopped veggies and sauté for 7 minutes. Once they are half cooked add 6 cups water and let it boil. Do not cover. Add the spaghetti after 5 minutes.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste
- Once the veggies completely cook, add the corn flour paste, along with vinegar, soya sauce
- Bring it to a boil and its ready.