Chundo and gujaratis go hand in hand. This sweet jam tastes so yum with bhakhri (Chapati cooked in oil). This is easily made at home with simple ingredients. Yet again I get this from my very talented mommy. So let’s start. The ratio is 1:1.5
Ingredients (Fills 1kg Jar)
- 3 Large raw mangoes
- Whole Sugar; the three mangoes gave me 4 grated bowls, so I used 6 bowls of sugar.(This will depend on the quantity of grated mango, grate all the mangoes and fill bowls. The number of bowls filled, we shall use 1.5 of each bowl sugar.) If the sugar is not as sweet you can take 2 bowls of sugar for each grated bowl of mango.
- 2 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. Red Chilli powder (Kashmiri and hot one both mixed)
- 1 large piece of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 4 pieces of cloves
- 1 tsp. whole black pepper
- Wash, peel and grate the mangoes, add salt and turmeric powder, mix well and take the measurement of the grated mango bowls. Then leave it overnight or 4 hours.
- Once done fill bowls to get the measurement of sugar, mix the sugar to the mangoes and let it stay the whole day, by evening you shall see the sugar syrup, as the sugar melts.
- In pan heat oil, add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick and whole black peppers. Once you smell the aroma add the mango sugar mixture. Heat it until you see a lot of bubbles.
- Need to heat it until it forms a one line thickness of syrup, check it with your thumb and index finger.
NOTE: Once you start heating, you will feel even after it has formed a one line thickness of the syrup, the mixture will still be very watery; DO NOT hesitate, GO AHEAD and switch off the gas. This is to avoid making it too hard.
Woooh the heat in Nairobi makes one crave for something cold and soothing. So I decided to make this ice cold custard milk fruit salad. Let’s cut the heat with this super delicious salad.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 1 litre milk
- 150 ml condensed milk
- 1 tbsp. Custard Powder
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- A pinch of saffron
- 2 Bananas diced into small cubes
- 1 Apple diced into small cubes
- 1 cup of whole grapes, which should be diced into small cubes
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Boil Milk, add 2 tbsp. of whole sugar, and boil for further 10 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and bring it to a boil until it thickens, add saffron to the milk.
- Then melt the custard in cold milk, and add it to the milk.
- Boil for a further 10 minutes.
- Let it cool, refrigerate it, and once you remove it from the refrigerator sieve it with a sieve to remove all the malai (milk particles) from it.
- Add the chopped fruits and enjoy
- Remember to chop the fruits at the time of eating, mix as needed. This will make it last longer.
White chocolates taste equally good as the milk and the dark chocolate. Only if you knew how easily they are made at home.
- 300gms White chocolate compound (I use the dairy land compound)
- 1 tbsp. corn oil
- Handful whole Pistas
- Chocolate silicon trays
- Use the double boiler, in a pan boil some water, coarsely chop the white compound and place it in a glass bowl and place this bowl inside the pan.
- You will see the chocolate melting, once it melts add oil and keep mixing until you get a shiny look.
- Finally use a spoon to pour the mixture into the silicon chocolate tray, place one pista in the shape and cover it up with more chocolate.
- Freeze for 15mins and they are ready! enjoy
Indians and the variety of sweet dishes, well today’s sweet dish is one of my favourites and my grandfather is the one who introduced me to it. Initially I thought it was never possible to make it at home, but I truly thank shital, who shared with me her awesome recipe of ghari. Made with simple ingredients and tastes delicious. It is a famous dish of Surat in india. Thanks shitu
For the stuffing
• 300gms Mawa (Khoya, made from dry evaporated milk, available in dairy shops)
• 1 cup unsalted powdered pista
• 1 cup powdered almond
• 2 tbsp gram flour
• 1 tbsp coarse semolina (Sooji)
• 2 cup powdered sugar (can be adjusted to your taste)
• 1 tsp Cardamon Powder
• 1 tsp kesar
• 3 tbsp ghee (Clarified Butter)
• Oil for deep frying
For the Puri
• 2 cups all purpose
• 2 tbsp. ghee
• Mix both milk and water to knead the dough in equal quantities
For the Outer Cover
• 4tbsp ghee
• 3 tbsp Icing sugar
• In a non-stick pan, heat ghee, and add the grated mawa, roast for 5 to 7 minutes and keep aside in the bowl you will use to mix, now add the gram flour and semolina to the pan, roast it until it changes colour and the aroma spreads. Add the pista and almond powder to it and cook for further 3-5minutes.
• Add sugar to the above mixture and pour it to the mawa bowl, mix well, add the cardamom powder and saffron.
• Make round balls of the stuffing, alternatively you can press them in the measuring cups to get the round perfect shape.
• Roll out small puris and stuff the balls like you make kachoris. Seal the balls and lay them in a tray.
• Deep fry them in hot oil. Now as these are hot, mix 4tbsp ghee and 3 tbsp, pour this on the fried balls(so the sugar paste sticks to the outer cover of the puri) and garnish with grated pista and almonds.
The day of love is finally here, all the streets are painted red and I have some thing special for you loved ones who have a sweet tooth.
Running out of valentines ideas? Well here are some yummy donuts to make those close to heart. I personally love donuts; just have a look at them, aren’t they temping? So dive right in. I gazed them with white linings but you can also opt to add some sprinkles to add some colour.
Ingredients; (Makes 12pcs Medium Sized)
- 2 Cups Home Baking
- 1/4 ts Baking Powder
- 1/4 ts Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 tsp. Pinch of Salt
- 3-4 tbs Melted Butter
- 21/2 tsp. Yeast
- 3-4 tbs Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Oil for Deep Frying
Extra flour for Dusting/Rolling
- In a bowl warm the milk, add sugar to dissolve, add dry yeast cover it and leave it aside for 10minutes.
- In another bowl, add flour, salt and baking powder, you can sieve all of this together, add melted butter, vanilla essence and the yeast mixture, mix well.
- Make the dough sticky, I used a little water, dust kitchen surface and knead the dough until it gives you a smooth texture.
- Cover the dough for 40minutes, until it is double the size, once it double the size, punch it and knead for further 2 minutes.
- Make 2-3 portions and roll out thick circle, using a donut cutter or even a bowl, cut them into small circles, use the smallest cutter to get the donut shape.
- Let them rest for another 30minutes, until they rise, heat oil and fry them on medium flame until golden brown. They are ready enjoy!
Ingredients for the Chocolate Dip
- 1 Cup Chocolate (Dark Compound, Milk Compound) I use the dairy land brand
- ½ cup White chocolate Compound
- Water for double boiling
- 1 tsp. corn oil
- In a pan heat water, place the dark and milk chocolate compound in another bowl, which will be kept in the boiling water, once you see the chocolate melt, add oil and mix till you get a smooth shinning look.
- Do the same for the white compound.
- Once the donuts cool down dip them in the chocolate dip and let it rest, the white dip should be filled in a polythene bag and make a very small hole at the end, draw lines of it on the donuts and the attractive donuts are ready to eat.
Happy Valentines Day!
Bounty lovers are all over, but trust me once you taste this home made bounty you will never want to buy the bounty chocolate. Hehe it’s super yummy and super easy to make. So here we go!!!!!!!!!!
Ingredients (Serves 10)
For the stuffing
- 6 tbsp. full fat milk powder
- 5 tbsp. icing sugar
- 16 tbsp. dry dessicated coconut
- 3 tbsp fresh milk
- 2-3 drops pepper mint essence
Sieve icing sugar and milk powder, mix it with all the other ingredients, as though your kneading a dough. Make small round portions of this mixture.
For the Coating
- 16 tbsp. icing sugar
- 8 tbsp. full fat milk powder
- 9 tbsp. drinking chocolate
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. milk
- ½ tbsp. lime juice
Sieve milk powder, icing sugar and drinking chocolate, add the rest of the ingredients and knead like a dough, the butter will melt gradually so make sure the dough is hard.
Now make small round portions of the coating, spread it on the palm place the stuffing and make roung balls, you will notice as your using the palm to make them round, the butter will shine the outer layer. Now with a folk press them to make a design and voila ready!