With the tremendous benefits of drum sticks, here is presenting a super healthy kadhi made with it. It tastes as yummy as you could think of. Made with simple ingredients, and it is also said that kadhi serves as a herbal antibiotic so it is basically medicine naturally made. So let us begin;
- 1 Medium sized potato
- 5 drum sticks cut into medium length
- 400ml curd
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 3 split green chillies
- 1 tsp black poppy seeds or cumin seeds
- a pinch of dried methi
- Oil for the temper
- A [inch of tumeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger chilly paste
- In a bowl take the curd, add the gram flour and whisk with a whisker, add salt, ginger chilly paste and methis seeds. Keep this mixture aside
- In a presuure cooker, add the peeled and chopped potato along with the drum sticks (washed and cut). Add some salt and very little water. Pressure cook it for one whistle only
- In another pan, heat oil and add the black poppy seeds and cumin seeds, until they crackle up, add the green chillies and add the curd – gram mixture, along with water to adjust the consistency.
- Bring it to a boil until it thickens up, now drain the potatoes and drum sticks into a strianer, once they cool down add them to the kadhi mixture.
- I bet you guys can have this on its own, as it is. A must try!!
Ever wondered how easily these yummies can be made at home. I would recommend you google the benefits of Urad dal. Well i get this from one of my south indian friend’s mom. Super easy, so lets begin! Super spongy and tasty too 🙂
Ingredients Makes 12 medium size pieces
- 1.5 cups white peeled urad dal (Black Lentil without skin)
- Water to soak it over night
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp green chilly paste
- Oil for frying
- Wash the urad dal and soak it in clean water over night, following morning blend it into a smooth paste, with one portion coarsely blended.
- While blending take if yu face difficulties, you can just SPRINKLE some water to the batter, do not add so much water, just take little quantities to blend.
- Remove the batter in a strainer, so all unnecessary water soaks out, leave it for 15 minutes.
- Now add the salt, pepper and green chilly paste to batter, mix well while in the stariner.
- Heat oil, wet your hands, take some batter with your right hand, place on the fingers of your left hand, now dip you right hand index finger in water and make a hole. Once the oil heats gently place the donut shaped vada in the oil. The nture of urad dal is such that it shal automatically slide from your hands.
- Fry till golden brown and enjoy!!!
Dhokla, a traditional Gujarati dish, i must say Gujaratis are so lucky with the varieties of dishes they have. My mom’s Dhoklas are excellent, no one can macth it to her taste, not even me. This is a small tribute to her, using her recipe. We are making White Dhoklas, so let us begin;
- 4 Cups Fat Rice
- 11/2 cup Chana dal (Split Red grams without skin)
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal (Split Black Lentils without Skin)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder and Black pepper powder to sprinkle on the batter
- Oil as needed, say per plate batter put 1tsp and a pinch of soda bicarb
- Red chilli powder and black pepper powder to sprinkle on the dhokla batter
For the Temper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Fresh coriander
Heat oil, add mustard seeds, on a crackling sound add cumin seeds, followed by sesame seeds and switch of the gas, add the cut dhoklas into it and mix well.
- Wash and soak the above for atleast 5 to 6 hours, blend it with very little water to a smooth paste.
- Now in a bowl take a little batter, add water to adjust a semi thick texture of it. Add ginger chilli paste to taste, followed by salt, followed by a pinch of sodabicarb and a Tbsp of oil.
- Mix it well, place the batter in a heated steamer and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To check whether they are cooked, place the knife upright to see if it comes out smooth without anything sticking to it.
- Let it cool, then cut them into cubes, temper them and tada!
Here is presenting a hands on healhty snack easily made at home. Lets start.
- 500gms of puffed rice/mamra
- 2 tbsp. corn oil
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. tumeric powder
- 1 tsp. red kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. hot red chilli powder
- To make it easier, first sun dry the puffed rice, so they automatically become crunchy. Say for 3 to 4 hours.
- Now in a big pan, heat oil and add the curry leaves, followed by tumeric powder, immediately thereafter add the puffed rice.
- Roast them for like 10 to 15 minutes, once they are cooked, add the chilli powder and mix well.
- Ready to eat.
Well well well, ever heard of healthy ladoos, these ladoos have a combination of so many healthy ingredients that gives one the essential nutrients to the body. Well actually i get this recipe from my in laws (Anita Bhabhi). I love the way she makes it. So lets begin;
- 1 Cup coarsely crushed, almond, pista and cashews
- 1 Cup dry dessicated coconut
- 300 gms khoya/Mawa
- 1 Cup roasted vermicelli
- 1 Cup Coarse Semolina (Sooji) (to be roasted in butter say 1tbsp)
- 1 Cup gram flour ( to be roasted in butter say 1 tbsp.)
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- A pinch of kesar (Saffron)
- 1 tsp. Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp. Fennel seeds powder
- 1 tbsp. Poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp dry grapes (Sultanas)-roasted in ghee
- This mixture makes 3 medium sized bowls, so add ground sugar 11/2 cups to it. Use the whole sugar and grind it at home.
- Roast the mawa add, kesar to it and keep it aside, now roast the semolina in butter, followed by gram flour. Make sure you roast these well it should turn aromatic to avoid an after taste.
- Now in a bowl add the coarsely ground dry fruits, dessicated coconut and all the roasted ingredients, then measure the bowls and add half the ground sugar quantity to it.
- Mix well add the same mixture to roast on a non stick pan, roast it for like 10 minutes. Remove and let the mixture cool.
- Make round medium sized portions and roll them out smoothly on your palm. Ready to munch into these delicious ladoos. Yummy!
This is when you really want a healthy bowl of veggies that gives you all the nutrients to the body. So easily made, you can add all the veggies available in the house at that time. So let’s begin.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 Cup chopped cabbage
- ½ Cup Chopped Cauli Flower
- ¼ Cup chopped Carrots
- ¼ Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- ½ Cup Chopped green capsicum
- 50 gms. Of spaghetti
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp. corn flour paste
- 1 tbsp. Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Soya sauce
- In pan heat oil, add all the chopped veggies and sauté for 7 minutes. Once they are half cooked add 6 cups water and let it boil. Do not cover. Add the spaghetti after 5 minutes.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste
- Once the veggies completely cook, add the corn flour paste, along with vinegar, soya sauce
- Bring it to a boil and its ready.
Here is some very good discovery for people who love Maggi masala but cannot have it because of the onion and garlic content in it. I personally like Maggi too, so let’s begin. I dedicate to all my Maggi friend lovers who have been missing this out
- 2 tbsp. Urad Dal (Black Lentil without skin)
- 1 tbsp. Dhana Jeera Powder
- ½ tsp. Kasuri Methi (Dried green methi)
- A Pinch of dried whole Methi
- 1 tsp. Roasted Cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. Tumeric powder
- ½ tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper powder
- ¼ tsp. Garam Masala
- 2 dry red chillies
- Roast the Urad dal and dry red chillies until they are crispy. Add all the other ingredients while the gas is switched off. Mix for a while and grind it to a smooth coarse powder. It is ready.
A perfect healthy snack for all times, Indians usually buy these ready-made, but when I discovered how easily they can be made at home, I could not resist to share my happiness. It is very high in protein and a perfect snack if you’re on a low carb diet. So let’s make these super simple grams at home. A secret to this recipe is my mom. She is the one who taught me.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 2 cups of brown grams
- 1 tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 500 gms. Salt to roast them
- In a bowl pour the grams, add 1tbsp milk, turmeric powder and 1 tsp. salt, mix well. Now spread them out in a cloth and place them outside to dry. It necessarily does not need the sun to dry, so do not worry, even shade dry can work
- Once you see the wetness of milk has dried up, in a pan put 500gms salt. Let the salt heat and place handful chana (grams) into it and mix well.
- Surprise surprise they shall pop out itself and trust me you will be so happy to see them pop. Use a spotted spatula to remove the popped grams out from the salt. Repeat the process for the rest and enjoy!