Yuppie, dal bhajia of only green grams, they taste delicious. Imagine no binding compound needed for these. So let’s start.
- 2 Cups Split green grams
- Water to soak
- Salt, Pepper and chopped green chillies to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash & soak the split green grams overnight. Next day you will see the skin shall easily come off the grams. So keep washing until you see 90% of the green skin out. Rub to enable removing the skin.
- Grind it coarse and leave some ungrounded split grams as well say 1 tbsp.
- As soon as you grind it, place the batter in a big sieve, below a bowl; let it remain like that for 2 hours so all the excess water comes out.
- Now you can also refrigerate the same for 20 – 30 mins.
- Then place the batter in a bowl, add salt, chopped green chillies to taste and deep fry them on medium heat.
Wow we have successfully nailed this down. I did not know to make Dabeli is this easy. When you feel like there is no time, just knw this is a hands on recipe. Delicious too, lets begin;
Ingredients (Makes 12 dabelis)
- 4 large potaoes boiled and peeled
- 40 gms of Dabeli Masala
- Hand ful peanuts (Fried)
- 1/2 Chopped Apple
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying the peanuts, you can also roast them
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 pkts of Buns
- 1 cup Sev
For the Amli-Dates Chutney
- 1 Cup deseeded dates
- 1/3 Cup amli
- 1 tbsp. Jaggery
- Salt to taste
Heat all the above with little water in an open pan for 20minutes, once it melts, blend it in a blender, add some water to adjust the consistency. Then add some salt.
- Boil the potatoes, peel them and mash it with the masher.
- Heat a nonstick pan add 2 tbsp butter, once it melts add the Dabeli masala and stir continuosly, once you get the aroma, add the mashed potatoes, followed by the amli chutney, mix well add little water if it dries up too much.
- As it cooks, fry some peanuts, i persnally mixed these peanuts inside with the potato mixture.
- Once the potaoes are well mixed with the dabeli masala, let it cool. You will feel the potaoes are abit too watery, dont worry, once it cools they shall harden themselves.
- Once the mixture cools is when now you add the fruits (apple and promegranate.
- Now stuff this in the buns and roast the buns with a little butter, tada ready to eat.
Heated butter with the dabeli masala
Mashed potatoes, followed by the tamarind dates chutney
after you mix it with a little water
once it cools, this is how it will look
The much bread is unhealthy, i still love it, when i discovered making these spicy buns at home, my joy knew no bound, so here you go, its so so so easy.
For the Buns
- 2 Mug Glass All purpose/ Home Baking
- 1tsp salt, sugar and Yeast (melt these together)
- 21/2 tsp oil
- Warm water just enough to knead a soft dough
- ½ tsp. soft butter
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
For the stuffing
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 Cup fresh green peas
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 tsp. ginger chilli paste
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- ½ squeezed fresh lemon
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- Sieve the flour, add the melted yeast mixture, and knead the dough with warm water. Let the texture be soft. Let the dough rest for 30mins until it rises
- Wash the chopped veggies, drain the water away and place them in a pressure cooker, when one whistle is about to blow switch it off, let the veggies cool down
- Now add oil and the ginger chilli paste with fresh cilantro, add this temper to the veggies along with the other spices
- Cut the dough into 9 portions, roll out them a little inorder to stuff the buns, seal the bun with your palm to give it a smooth texture it round and place it in the baking tray, brush with soft butter and sesame seeds. Leave them to rise a little, as you will see in the image below.
- Bake at 180c for 20 mins
The very famous bhajias of kenya, popularly known as Maru bhajias, served with some tomato carrot dip, serves best on a saturday night. So readers here we go;
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 4 Large Potaoes peeled and cut into thin to medium slices
- 3 Tbspn gram flour
- 2 tbspn rice flour (this flour gives the crunchy texture)
- 1 tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 tbsp ginger chilly paste
- 1/2 a cup fresh chopped coriander
- Salt, Tumeric powder, Red chilli powder to taste
- Water to make the batter
- 500ml Oil for deep frying
- In a bowl mix the sliced potatoes, add the gram flour, rice flour and all other ingredients, mix well.
- If the batter s too dry, sprinkle some water to make it pasty so the potato slices are halfy covered with the flour, taste the paste and add the spices accordingly.
- Once the oil heats, place the potato slices one by one, fry on high flame for the first 2 minutes, then to medium flame, until they get the crispy texture
- Served with tomato carrot dip, for this take 1 tomato and 1 carrot, 1 green chilli and salt, blend it together, garnish with fresh coriander and tada. 🙂
Friday is a furahi day in Kenya means happy Friday, a day to munch into some junk as the weekend approaches. So here we are who will say no to chipsssssssss. Chips in Kenya are so famous; today we shall make masala chips. Here we go.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 8 Potatoes Peeled, washed and grated into chips, using a chips cutter.
- 500ml Oil for deep frying, you can use air fryer for healthier chips
- 1 Cup Chopped Cabbage
- 1 tomato Chopped
- 1 Capsium sliced into thins chips
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Maggi Ketchup sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Mixed Herbs
- Red chilli powder paste (Mix 2tbsp red chilli powder, 1/2tsp oil, ½ a lemon squeezed and water, make a thick paste)
- Cheese slices (optional) only if you want them cheesy
- Deep fry or air fry the chips, once ready put it aside, need not make them crunchy.
- In a pan add some oil, place the chopped tomatoes, once they melt, add cabbage and capsicum, let it cook for a while; add salt, pepper and red chilli paste at this stage that includes for the chips also.
- Now add all the sauces and mixed herbs, if the gravy is too thick, you can add a little water to dilute it a bit.
- Finally add the chips and mix well, if you are a cheesy person, you can add cheese slices and let it simmer for 7 minutes and tada served with cold cold soda.
Have a fabulous Friday. 🙂 🙂 🙂
Dearest readers, heres again another super duper easy recipe made with gram flour, it is super delicious and easily prepared at home. So here we go;
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 1 Cup Gram Flour
- 3 Cups Buttermilk (Chaas), i preferably use the shelf yoghurt to make this, to avoid any sour taste.
- 1 Tsp ginger chilly paste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
For the Temper
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- Fresh chopped coriander
- In a glass bowl, mix the gram flour and buttermilk, whisk it with well with a whisker, making sure there are no lumps in the batter. The batter will be watery do not worry. Add the spices as well.
- Place it in the microwave for first 2 minutes, remove and mix well, again for 3 minutes, making sure at regular minute intervals, you remove the batter from the micro to mix it, followed by heating it up.
- Now place abit of the mixture on your finger and rub it with the thumb, if it smoothly comes out, its done
- Now take two big steel plates and grease the back of the plate with oil, place the batter and spread with a butter knife. Cut horizontally and roll them with your hands, Place the rolls in a plate
- Place some oil and all the temper items, pour the mixture onto the rolls and its done.
Boiled Potato wedges
The beans mixture
Poured on the tray
Hehehe ok this sounds funny but actually this is how i make my Jacket potatoes so the taste of cheese is not lost any where in the process. This is also a super duper easy recipee. I always make this when i dont know of what to cook. And guys its super healthy and fatty for the cheese part. You can ignore the cheese. So here we go
- 1 Cup Fresh Red Beans
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 diced green capsicum
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 tbsp Ginger chilli paste
- 2 tomatoes Blended
- Loads of Mozerella grated cheese
- 1 tsp dhana jeera
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- Melted Butter, Put Oregano, Basil, Mixed herbs, Red chilli flakes in this only
- 5 to 6 Boiled Potatoes
- Olive oil for spraying on potatoes
- Salt to taste
- In a Pressure Cooker add oil, once heated add ginger chilli paste, followed by tomato paste, Let it cook, then add dhanajeera powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder along with salt. Add all beans, capsium, carrots and sweet corn in the Pressure cooker add salt gain if need be. Add a little water and let ti cook for 3 whistles.
- Mean while peel and cut the raw poatoes into wedges and boil in an open pan, once its boiled, drain them and place them on a baking tray. Sprinkle salt, Pepper, olive oil and the melted butter mixture.
- Finally pour the beans mixture on the potato wedges and top it with loadsss of grated cheese.
- Bake until the cheese melts. Yummyyyy 🙂
Wow i cant believe i am posting the recipe for pani puri, let me tell you a secret guys puris are so super duper easy to make at home PROVIDED you have a roti maker hahahha. I buy the puris when i am lazy. Yet again a super delicious and easy chaat. I am telling you india is blessed with the varieties of food that we have in our culture. So here we go!!!!!!!
Pani puri revovles around three items, Puris, Filling, Water and chutneys (please check my vada pav recipee for the tamarind chutney)
For the Puris
- 2 Cups sooji/ Semolina coarse
- Salt to taste
- Normal Temperature water to knead the dough
- Oil for deep-frying
- Knead the doughwith water and salt, let it rest for 30 mins wrapped in wet cloth, then is when it will get that elasticity texture.
- Make small small round portion and press them in the roti maker, and fry them hot oil, they will puff up automatically.
- Please note dont let the dough dry up, wrap it up with a wet cloth as you make the puris.
For the Filling
- 5 to 6 Boiled potatoes mashed
- 1 cup boiled red chickpeas (make sure they are soaked for 3 to 4 hours before bringing them to a boil. Mash a few of them
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli to taste
- Mix all the above and add grated green chillies.
- 1 Cup fresh coriander
- 1 Cup fresh mint
- Lemon to taste
- Pani puri masala powder
- Aamchur (dry mango)powder
- Rock Salt
- Salt to taste
- Blend all the above in a blender with water, check the consistency of water you require for it and add the spices to taste again.
- You can sieve the water to remove the particles of coriander and mint
Tada its this easy………………..
On of the most famous chaats of India is Vada Pav, i believe anyone who has visited india has tasted this dish. Its super easy to prepare the same at home. So guys here we go
Ingredients for the bateta vada
- 5 to 6 Boiled and mashed Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Oil for the Temper, add 1 tsp Mustard seeds, 1 tsp Cumin seeds, 1 tbsp ginger chilli paste, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar in the mashed potatoes and taste
- 6 tbsp Gram Flour for the batter
- Salt to taste and water to make the batter
The mashed potoatoes mixed with the Temper
Make round balls of it
Make sure there are no Lumps, add a pinch of sodabicarb
Dip them in the batter and fry them at medum heat
For the three Chutneys
Red Chutney, Green Chutney and Dates Chutney
- Red Chutney: 7 to 10 pcs of Red Hot Bullet chillies, remove the seeds, Add little water for the consistency not too thin not too thick and salt to taste
- Green Chutney: 11/2 Capsicum, 1 cup fresh coriander, 1 pc green chillie, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt., 1/2 tsp aamchur powder, half lemon freshly squeezed and water for the consistency. Make sure the capsicum content is more to avoid the colour change of the green chutney
- Dates Chutney: Sweet chutney, boil i cup dates with 1 cup water, once it boils completely, mash it with a spoon, add little salt and aamchur powder, blend it in a mixture and its ready
Just follow the ingredients and grind them in a blender, the Dips/ Chutneys are ready!
For the Final Product
- 8 pcs of scones
- Butter and pan to raost them as follows
Tada Gather them
Spread them out
Apply the dips to each sides of the scones
Put butter on the tawa and roast both sides, gently pressing with a spatula
These are how compressed they should be
Ready to eat 🙂
Pizza pizza pizza pizza, hahaha who on earth would not like pizza. Very easy to make the base at home as well. Here presenting the easy home made veg pizza. This quantity makes 6 pizzas, if you prefer a thick spongy crust like papa johns pizza, then it makes 4 Pizzas
Mix all the ingredients for the dough and knead withnormal water, not too hard not too soft
Let it rest for 2hours or the whole day
Make 2 portions of the dough and cut it with a knife the pizza size you want
There you go, you will see the dough rising on its own
Roll them out super thin, because remeber they will rise
Apply the tomato pizza paste
Toopings you wish to put
Mozerrella cheeseeeee, grate it
Top the pizza with it
Add oregano and red chilli flakes on top of the cheese
Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes
Wow the bottom is perfectly baked
Ready for Cutting, if you want a crunchie base bake at 150 degrees for 20mins, it shall definitely make it crunchie
This is how spongy it is inside
Tada that yum is readyyyy 🙂
- 3 cups Plain Flour
- salt, sugar, oil and yeast (if you take one cup, then take 1 tsp of each of these)
- Water to knead the dough
- 1 kg Tomatoes to make the gravy
- Oregano, Chilli flakes
- Mushrooms, Capsicum, Olives, Sweet corn boiled- toppings of your choice
- Mozerrella Cheese
For normal texture bake the pizza at 200 degrees for 15 minutes, alternatively if you want a crispier base, bake at 150 degrees for 20 minutes.
To make a magherita just add the paste to the base and lots of grated cheese, topped again with oregano and chilli flakes.
Tomato Paste Method
- Boil the tomatoes in an open pan until they crack
- Sieve them in a steel siever
- Allow the water to drain out for minimum 2 hrs, you can even leave it the whole day
- Once the water drains out, peel out the skin of the tomato (it easily comes out)
- Blend all the tomatoes in a blender
- In a pan put 2 tbsp oil, fresh grated ginger and the tomato paste and salt
- Cook the tomato paste until it thickens, make sure you cover it with a lead because alot will spill out, once it thickens add Jaggery to taste, some people like it sweet some not very sweet. Mix well
- Once it cools down add 1tbsp kashmiri chilli powder and 1 tsp red chilli powder