The name of pickles itself sounds complicated right. I felt the same way before, but nowadays in the market we easily get ready made swaminarayan masala pickle so it makes it so easy for us to cook it at home.
To make it healthier ofcourse you can use olive oil to soak the pickle, hence these pickles have a very long shelf life upto 2 years also. So lets begin;
- 2 Medium size raw mango
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Tumeric powder
- 300ml Corn oil/ Olive Oil
- 300 gms. pickle masala
- Wash and chop the mangoes with the skin into medium sized cubes. Add salt and tumeric powder, mix well and leave it over night.
- Following day you will see some water in the mixture, drain out the mangoes with a sieve and let them dry until all water soakes out. This should take like 30minutes.
- Now place the mangoes in a bowl and add the ready made pickle mix well. If you seeing more mangoes than masala add the more masala to it.
- Let it rest for another 2 hours
- Finally luke warm heat the oil, once the oil cools, add it to the mixture above, ensure it is dipped in oil.
- Tada served with roti, parothas and anything else you wish to eat it with.
Papdi, a snack that goes hand in hand with all the dishes in a gujarati house. Most of the mommys make them at home. They taste so yum, in the process of making papdi, you might end up eating the steamed batter as it is with oil. I get this recipe from my Mom as well. It is just amazing how awesome they are with such things. So let’s begin;
Ingredients (Serves 2) make 5 medium sized donuts
- 1 Cup rice Flour
- 2 Cups water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. green chilli paste
- ½ tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. Sagoo (Sabudana)
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. Carom seeds
- 1 tsp. Soda bicarbonate
- Served with Peanut oil and pickle masala
- In a deep pan, boil water, add sesame seeds, carom seeds, cumin seeds, salt and sabudana, bring it to a boil and then add the chilli paste.
- Let it boil until the water changes its colour to green, you should be sneezing as the water boils. This is proof that you’re heading in the right direction.
- Now add the soda bicarbonate, bring at least 3 boils, then add the flour and mix with a wooden spatula. Mix well to avoid lumps.
- Transfer it in another bowl and cover it. Now wash the deep pan you used and add some water, place a ring and a dotted dish on top of the ring in the pan. Place a cloth on it.
- Now the batter transferred to the bowl, use some water and with your hands give them a donut shape. Roll it round tap with water and make a hole with your index finger.
- Place the donuts one by one into the cloth in the deep pan. Once done cover all the donuts with the cloth. Place the lid of the pan and let it steam for 30 – 40 minutes.
- It is very aromatic, once it cooks. Served with PEANUT OIL and pickle masala.