Yuppie, dal bhajia of only green grams, they taste delicious. Imagine no binding compound needed for these. So let’s start.
- 2 Cups Split green grams
- Water to soak
- Salt, Pepper and chopped green chillies to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash & soak the split green grams overnight. Next day you will see the skin shall easily come off the grams. So keep washing until you see 90% of the green skin out. Rub to enable removing the skin.
- Grind it coarse and leave some ungrounded split grams as well say 1 tbsp.
- As soon as you grind it, place the batter in a big sieve, below a bowl; let it remain like that for 2 hours so all the excess water comes out.
- Now you can also refrigerate the same for 20 – 30 mins.
- Then place the batter in a bowl, add salt, chopped green chillies to taste and deep fry them on medium heat.
Yeeeeiiii who is a fan of pasta here. I love pasta to the moon and back. When you really need to use the greens at home, haha blend it into a tasty pesto paste and enjoy the healthy bowl of penne pasta. So let us begin;
- 250gms penne shaped pasta boiled
- 5 bunches of blenched spinach
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 4-5 green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 pieces of walnuts
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- A few chopped pitted black olives
- Grated Cheese
- Bowl pasta in a large pan withsalt and some oil
- Now in a blender, add the blenched spinach, olive oil, walnuts, basil, lemon zest, salt, green chillies and black pepper, grind it to a smooth paste
- In a non stick pan add some oil, and this paste, please note the paste will be thick, you can add water to adjust the consistency
- Now let it cook for a while, taste the paste incase anything needs to be added, finally add the boiled pasta, you can still add some water or little milk to adjust the consistency and yolo it is ready.
- Some portion add grated cheese and microwave it until it melts. Hurray it is ready to eat. Enjoy!
With the tremendous benefits of drum sticks, here is presenting a super healthy kadhi made with it. It tastes as yummy as you could think of. Made with simple ingredients, and it is also said that kadhi serves as a herbal antibiotic so it is basically medicine naturally made. So let us begin;
- 1 Medium sized potato
- 5 drum sticks cut into medium length
- 400ml curd
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 3 split green chillies
- 1 tsp black poppy seeds or cumin seeds
- a pinch of dried methi
- Oil for the temper
- A [inch of tumeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger chilly paste
- In a bowl take the curd, add the gram flour and whisk with a whisker, add salt, ginger chilly paste and methis seeds. Keep this mixture aside
- In a presuure cooker, add the peeled and chopped potato along with the drum sticks (washed and cut). Add some salt and very little water. Pressure cook it for one whistle only
- In another pan, heat oil and add the black poppy seeds and cumin seeds, until they crackle up, add the green chillies and add the curd – gram mixture, along with water to adjust the consistency.
- Bring it to a boil until it thickens up, now drain the potatoes and drum sticks into a strianer, once they cool down add them to the kadhi mixture.
- I bet you guys can have this on its own, as it is. A must try!!
Feel like having some spongy vanilla cake, here is presenting an eggless recipe of a sponge cake, this cake can be used for icing because the sugar is generally less. It can also be eaten like that. Yummmy to all the sweet tooth lovers lets begin this super easy recipe for vanilla sponge cake.
And it can be baked without an oven, isn’t that interesting.
- 1 cup Salt for baking
- 3 tbp butter
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup condensed milk
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence (any flavour can be used)
- 1 and 1/2 cup Home Baking
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Add 1 cup of salt in a pressure cooker, cover it with the lid,(remove the whistle), let it heat in medium-high flame.
- In a mixing bowl, add butter, oil, powdered sugar and whisk for 2 minutes. Once it looks creamy add the condensed milk and start whisking until thick and fluffy (i use my cake mix blender for this)
- Mix vinegar, vanilla essence with room temperature milk and keep aside for a minute, mean while sieve the flour, baking soda and baking powder
- Now add half of the milk vinegar mixture to the condensed milk mixture, mix well. add the reamining half gradually mixing it, followed by all the dry ingredients.
- Mix well ensure there are no lumps. place the batte in a cake tin and place this tin into the cooker, adjust the heat to medium low and bake for 40-45 minutes
- Use a toothpick to check if it is fully cooked, let the cake cool to room temperature before cutting it. Tada ready to eat.
- I used some powdered sugar for garnishing
Ever wondered how easily these yummies can be made at home. I would recommend you google the benefits of Urad dal. Well i get this from one of my south indian friend’s mom. Super easy, so lets begin! Super spongy and tasty too 🙂
Ingredients Makes 12 medium size pieces
- 1.5 cups white peeled urad dal (Black Lentil without skin)
- Water to soak it over night
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp green chilly paste
- Oil for frying
- Wash the urad dal and soak it in clean water over night, following morning blend it into a smooth paste, with one portion coarsely blended.
- While blending take if yu face difficulties, you can just SPRINKLE some water to the batter, do not add so much water, just take little quantities to blend.
- Remove the batter in a strainer, so all unnecessary water soaks out, leave it for 15 minutes.
- Now add the salt, pepper and green chilly paste to batter, mix well while in the stariner.
- Heat oil, wet your hands, take some batter with your right hand, place on the fingers of your left hand, now dip you right hand index finger in water and make a hole. Once the oil heats gently place the donut shaped vada in the oil. The nture of urad dal is such that it shal automatically slide from your hands.
- Fry till golden brown and enjoy!!!
Yummy coconut dosa chutney, with very simple ingredients. So lets Begin.
- 1 Whole Coconut
- 3 green chilles
- 1 cup pressed fresh coriander
- Water as needed to blend the dip
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 squeezed Lemon juice
Mix all the above in a blender and blend it. Make sure to cut the coconut into small pieces, if possible you can do away with the skin of the coconut
For the Temper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 dry red chilli
Here is a very handy parotha recipe. It should be served when hot, that’s when you enjoy it. Let’s begin;
Ingredients (Makes 12 Parothas)
- 2 Cups grated Paneer
- 1/2 Cup grated Mozerella or cheddar cheese
- 3-4 chopped green chillies
- ¼ tsp. of all dried herbs namely; Rosemary, Mixed herbs, Parsley, thyme, Oregano and red chilli flakes.
- Salt and black pepper powder to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ green capsicum chopped very small
For the dough
- 1 cup Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Home Baking Flour
- ¼ cup Self raising flour
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Just enough water to knead a soft dough
- Knead the dough and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl add the grated paneer, cheese and all the above ingredients and mix well. Taste and add chilli or salt accordingly.
- Make 12 round portion of the dough, and roll them flat with a rolling pin. Add the paneer stuffing into it and fold it in a square shape (as shown in the pictures below).
- Roll it again and roast on a pan with some oil.
NB: The cheese is added so the paneer binds itself well to the stuffing, as you cook it, the cheese melts and makes sure the paneer is held in well.
Dhokla, a traditional Gujarati dish, i must say Gujaratis are so lucky with the varieties of dishes they have. My mom’s Dhoklas are excellent, no one can macth it to her taste, not even me. This is a small tribute to her, using her recipe. We are making White Dhoklas, so let us begin;
- 4 Cups Fat Rice
- 11/2 cup Chana dal (Split Red grams without skin)
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal (Split Black Lentils without Skin)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder and Black pepper powder to sprinkle on the batter
- Oil as needed, say per plate batter put 1tsp and a pinch of soda bicarb
- Red chilli powder and black pepper powder to sprinkle on the dhokla batter
For the Temper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Fresh coriander
Heat oil, add mustard seeds, on a crackling sound add cumin seeds, followed by sesame seeds and switch of the gas, add the cut dhoklas into it and mix well.
- Wash and soak the above for atleast 5 to 6 hours, blend it with very little water to a smooth paste.
- Now in a bowl take a little batter, add water to adjust a semi thick texture of it. Add ginger chilli paste to taste, followed by salt, followed by a pinch of sodabicarb and a Tbsp of oil.
- Mix it well, place the batter in a heated steamer and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To check whether they are cooked, place the knife upright to see if it comes out smooth without anything sticking to it.
- Let it cool, then cut them into cubes, temper them and tada!
Wow we have successfully nailed this down. I did not know to make Dabeli is this easy. When you feel like there is no time, just knw this is a hands on recipe. Delicious too, lets begin;
Ingredients (Makes 12 dabelis)
- 4 large potaoes boiled and peeled
- 40 gms of Dabeli Masala
- Hand ful peanuts (Fried)
- 1/2 Chopped Apple
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying the peanuts, you can also roast them
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 pkts of Buns
- 1 cup Sev
For the Amli-Dates Chutney
- 1 Cup deseeded dates
- 1/3 Cup amli
- 1 tbsp. Jaggery
- Salt to taste
Heat all the above with little water in an open pan for 20minutes, once it melts, blend it in a blender, add some water to adjust the consistency. Then add some salt.
- Boil the potatoes, peel them and mash it with the masher.
- Heat a nonstick pan add 2 tbsp butter, once it melts add the Dabeli masala and stir continuosly, once you get the aroma, add the mashed potatoes, followed by the amli chutney, mix well add little water if it dries up too much.
- As it cooks, fry some peanuts, i persnally mixed these peanuts inside with the potato mixture.
- Once the potaoes are well mixed with the dabeli masala, let it cool. You will feel the potaoes are abit too watery, dont worry, once it cools they shall harden themselves.
- Once the mixture cools is when now you add the fruits (apple and promegranate.
- Now stuff this in the buns and roast the buns with a little butter, tada ready to eat.
Heated butter with the dabeli masala
Mashed potatoes, followed by the tamarind dates chutney
after you mix it with a little water
once it cools, this is how it will look
The name of pickles itself sounds complicated right. I felt the same way before, but nowadays in the market we easily get ready made swaminarayan masala pickle so it makes it so easy for us to cook it at home.
To make it healthier ofcourse you can use olive oil to soak the pickle, hence these pickles have a very long shelf life upto 2 years also. So lets begin;
- 2 Medium size raw mango
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. Tumeric powder
- 300ml Corn oil/ Olive Oil
- 300 gms. pickle masala
- Wash and chop the mangoes with the skin into medium sized cubes. Add salt and tumeric powder, mix well and leave it over night.
- Following day you will see some water in the mixture, drain out the mangoes with a sieve and let them dry until all water soakes out. This should take like 30minutes.
- Now place the mangoes in a bowl and add the ready made pickle mix well. If you seeing more mangoes than masala add the more masala to it.
- Let it rest for another 2 hours
- Finally luke warm heat the oil, once the oil cools, add it to the mixture above, ensure it is dipped in oil.
- Tada served with roti, parothas and anything else you wish to eat it with.