Dhokla, a traditional Gujarati dish, i must say Gujaratis are so lucky with the varieties of dishes they have. My mom’s Dhoklas are excellent, no one can macth it to her taste, not even me. This is a small tribute to her, using her recipe. We are making White Dhoklas, so let us begin;
- 4 Cups Fat Rice
- 11/2 cup Chana dal (Split Red grams without skin)
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal (Split Black Lentils without Skin)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder and Black pepper powder to sprinkle on the batter
- Oil as needed, say per plate batter put 1tsp and a pinch of soda bicarb
- Red chilli powder and black pepper powder to sprinkle on the dhokla batter
For the Temper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Fresh coriander
Heat oil, add mustard seeds, on a crackling sound add cumin seeds, followed by sesame seeds and switch of the gas, add the cut dhoklas into it and mix well.
- Wash and soak the above for atleast 5 to 6 hours, blend it with very little water to a smooth paste.
- Now in a bowl take a little batter, add water to adjust a semi thick texture of it. Add ginger chilli paste to taste, followed by salt, followed by a pinch of sodabicarb and a Tbsp of oil.
- Mix it well, place the batter in a heated steamer and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To check whether they are cooked, place the knife upright to see if it comes out smooth without anything sticking to it.
- Let it cool, then cut them into cubes, temper them and tada!