Chole bature! Wow the name is enough for me to get the craving. This is one of my favourite dishes. It is feeling, tasty and the choles are also healthy. These white chick peas are also used in making hummus, so it is healthy. Batures are basically indian deep fried bread. So lets start.
Ingredients Serves 4
- 3 cups chole, washed and soaked
- 3 medium sized tomato paste
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. Dhana Jeera powder
- ¼ tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. ginger chilli paste
- 1 tsp. green chilli paste
- 4 pcs of cloves
- A few black pepper corns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Cilantro for garnishing
For the Bhature (makes appro. 12pcs)
- ½ mug glass curd
- ½ mug glass milk
- Self-Raising Flour – how much ever will fit into the above mixture. ( you can use home baking flour as well – add baking powder to it)
- 1 tbsp. Kasuri methi (dried green methi)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Oil for deep frying
Method for the Chole (Chickpeas)
- Soak the chickpeas overnight and pressure cooks them for 6 whistles. When soaked add turmeric powder and salt in it so it boils with the flavours.
- Now in a pan add oil, add black pepper corns, cloves and cinnamon stick. Once it is aromatic add the ginger chilli paste and mix well. Add the tomato paste in a while.
- Once the paste cooks abit, add all the spices (turmeric pdr, chilli powder, dhana jeera powder, garam masala powder) let it cook until the gravy thickens up.
- Add the boiled chickpeas to the gravy and bring it to a boil, add the green chilli paste now and cilantro. Mix well and it’s ready.
Method for the bhature (indian friend bread)
- Add the ½ glass milk and ½ glass curd with all other ingredients except the flour in a bowl. Microwave it for 2-3 minutes. You will see it turning into paneer crumble.
- Now Sieve the self-raising flour into it, see how much goes into the mixture of the milk and curd. Knead soft dough and let it rest for 30minutes.
- The secret to making sure the bhature’s puff is, when making small portions of the dough, Roll out the dough with your palms and use a knife to get the small round balls. Then flat press them with your hands to roll with a rolling pin. I guarantee you all of them shall puff up.