Papdi, a snack that goes hand in hand with all the dishes in a gujarati house. Most of the mommys make them at home. They taste so yum, in the process of making papdi, you might end up eating the steamed batter as it is with oil. I get this recipe from my Mom as well. It is just amazing how awesome they are with such things. So let’s begin;
Ingredients (Serves 2) make 5 medium sized donuts
- 1 Cup rice Flour
- 2 Cups water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. green chilli paste
- ½ tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. Sagoo (Sabudana)
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. Carom seeds
- 1 tsp. Soda bicarbonate
- Served with Peanut oil and pickle masala
- In a deep pan, boil water, add sesame seeds, carom seeds, cumin seeds, salt and sabudana, bring it to a boil and then add the chilli paste.
- Let it boil until the water changes its colour to green, you should be sneezing as the water boils. This is proof that you’re heading in the right direction.
- Now add the soda bicarbonate, bring at least 3 boils, then add the flour and mix with a wooden spatula. Mix well to avoid lumps.
- Transfer it in another bowl and cover it. Now wash the deep pan you used and add some water, place a ring and a dotted dish on top of the ring in the pan. Place a cloth on it.
- Now the batter transferred to the bowl, use some water and with your hands give them a donut shape. Roll it round tap with water and make a hole with your index finger.
- Place the donuts one by one into the cloth in the deep pan. Once done cover all the donuts with the cloth. Place the lid of the pan and let it steam for 30 – 40 minutes.
- It is very aromatic, once it cooks. Served with PEANUT OIL and pickle masala.