Dosa is one of my favourites over the weekend, it is a hands-on recipe. Whenever a weekend approaches I always opt to have this batter handy which allows me to enjoy this delicious dish. So let’s start.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the batter
- 4 cups fat rice
- 1 cup urad dal (black Lentils without skin)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped green chillies
- Salt to taste in the batter
- 2 tbsp. oil for the whole batter
- 1 tsp. soda bicarbonate for the whole batter
I do have this batter recipe in my blog, but no harm sharing it again.
For the Chutney
- 1 fresh whole coconut
- 4 green chillies
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- ½ tsp. salt
For the temper to add to the chutney
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp. Urad Dal
- 1 tsp. Mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- A few Curry Leaves
- Soak the lentils for 4 hours minimum to overnight maximum, blend with very little water to a smooth thick paste.
- Let it rest for another 4 hours minimum to overnight maximum, you will see it will have fermented. Remove the much you need and freeze the rest.
- Add water to it, 1tsp oil, ½ tsp. soda bicarbonate, now heat a non-stick pan and pour the dosa batter, roll out in circular motion, immediately done, sprinkle the much cheese you want, top with some green chillies.
- Let the cheese melt, the dosa will automatically separate itself from the non-sick pan, roll it out and serve with coconut chutney.
Method for the Chutney
- In a chopper or a food processor, cut coconut into medium sized cubes, add green chillies, coriander, salt and a little water. Using a chopper the coconut shall automatically grate itself.
- In a pan heat oil, Mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves, once they pop up well, add it to the chutney and hurray it is done.