Yummy, this is one of my favourites and they are very healthy, although white rice is used to make the batter, so readers here we go, super fluffy and soft idlis served with Lentil Soup (also called Sambhar in the indian Language)
- 4 Cups thick white rice
- 1 cup split black lentils without skin (Urad Dal)
- 1 tbsp Eno
- Wash the rice and the lentil in seperate bowls, soak it in water for atleast 4 hours or even over night. The work done in 4hours to soften them will also do.
- Grind it into a slightly coarse batter with a grinder/Blender.
- Make sure the batter is thick, let it ferment overnight or another 4 hours. PLEASE NOTE AS SOON AS YOU MAKE THE BATTER, YOU CAN FREEZE IT TO AVOID IT GETTING SOUR.
- Now in a bowl, take the mixture, add water, salt and 1 tbsp Eno. Mix well, place them in an idli stand and steam it until it bakes up like a cake.
- Done done done, its that simple 🙂